Dr Michael Ledger, is a registered paediatrician specialising in all forms of child health care and well being.
He studied medicine at the University of Cape Town, after completing degrees in a bachelor of science and doing his honours in applied anatomy. On completing his medical degree in 2003 he did his internship and community service at P.E. Hospital complex and Atlantis Hospital, respectively. Since 2006 his time has been devoted to paediatrics: working at Red Cross Children’s Hospital and the various public paediatric services in Cape Town completing his paediatric training in 2011. Since then he has worked in private practise, as well as doing weekly sessions in the GIT clinic at Red Cross Children’s Hospital.
His day to day activities include:
- attendance at newborn deliveries, caring for unwell and premature babies from 28 weeks in our Bellville Melomed Neonatal ICU
- caring for the sick infant, toddler or child that has been admitted to our paediatric ward, with illnesses such as pneumonia, acute gastroenteritis, septicaemia and various other conditions
- general consultations at my practises in Bellville melomed hospital and century city doing general checkups, development checks, asthma diagnosis and management, Epilepsy management, ADHD screening, constipation and management of various other paediatric problems.
- weekly attendance at the GIT clinic at Red Cross Children’s Hospital
- 24hr paediatric emergency service along with the other paediatricians at Bellville Melomed Hospital
- referring the complicated child to appropriate services and specialist paediatricians
He enjoys all aspects of paediatrics care and is passionate about helping families rear healthy happy children.
He is married to Tamara, who is also a paediatrician, and they have young twins Ryan and Zara. Outside medicine his interest are his family, the outdoors, river trips and wave-ski surfing
FC(Paed)SA, DCH, MBChB, BSc(med)Hons, BSc