Naomi Heynes Physiotherapy is a private physiotherapy practice focussing on babies and children (0 – 18months).
Physiotherapy treatment is focussed on input to babies and children with developmental, neurological, cardiorespiratory or orthopaedic problems.
The therapist have many years of experience working with paediatrics and are committed to ongoing education and learning. She is also passionate about helping your child reach their maximum potential through enjoyable, therapeutic play techniques. We are all about the involvement of the parent/ carer as they know the child the best and we believe therapy is an ongoing process through stimulation in all activities of daily living.
Babies – younger than 12 months:
- Premature babies, infant special care or neonatal care and traumatic birth incidence
- Babies who have difficulty settling
- Babies who are showing difficulty reaching their developmental milestones
- Babies with postural problems – torticollis, scoliosis, talipus, metatarsus adductus, or idiopathic toe walkers.
- Visual and hearing handicaps
- Babies that sustained brachial plexus lesions and Erb’s palsy
- Muscular dystrophy and spinal muscular dystrophy and dystonia
- Respiratory problems such as cystic fibrosis or asthma
- CP – from mild hemiplegia to severe quadriceps
- Syndromes and other genetic conditions
- Minimal cerebral dysfunction
Toddlers older 12 months and the older child
- The clumsy child and child with low muscle tone and or joint hypermobility
- Improve postural definition i.e. core muscle strengthening to aid in; concentration difficulties, difficult sitting still and problems with handwriting
- Postural problems – torticollis, scoliosis, talipus, metatarsus adductus, or idiopathic toe walkers.
- Acquired brain injury and spinal injury
- Neurological diseases and developmental conditions such as cerebral palsy, muscular dystrophy and spina bifida
- Post trauma injuries, such as fractures, sport injuries, post orthopaedic surgery
- Juvenile chronic arthritis and related conditions e.g. Osteogenesis imperfect, chronic pain
- Cystic fibrosis and other respiratory disorders such as asthma
- Burns and plastic surgery
- Limb deficiency conditions
- Bell’s palsy
About your therapist – Naomi Heynes
I am an experienced physiotherapist, worked for Western Cape provincial government for 12 years at the primary health care services. I was the physiotherapist in charge of an out- patient clinic at community health centres. During my work period I ran a paediatric clinic on a weekly basis. I obtained experience/ exposure of different spectrums of paediatric conditions.
I was also able to attend regular workshops and courses to broaden my knowledge and to stay in touch with latest development regarding treatment of different conditions. Some of the courses I attended include: a 1 year medical genetics education programme (incl. birth defects) with the division of molecular biology and human genetics at the University of Stellenbosch; a course on Child rights and Child law with the Children’s Institute at University of Cape Town; Trunk ball workshop; an Aquatic Paediatric course; Clinical and gross motor observation workshop; an Early intervention training course with the sunshine centre association and many more.
I am a very positive minded/ optimistic person who believes that a person can overcome any situation or obstacle in their path, with the correct assistance and guidance.
I am a parent of two beautiful children, and believe our children are our future and the earlier we install positive attitudes and behaviour in our children we will invest in a better future for them.
As a result of my experience working at primary health care in community, I became a huge advocate of ‘prevention is better than cure’. I have a holistic approach to the management of my patients. I regard the patients’ needs as a priority and therefore my therapy is patient goal orientated.